Each individual who wants to captain a USTA Junior Team Tennis team must first complete a background check. Captains will not be allowed to login to TennisLink to create teams until they have done so.
Effective January 1, 2014, the three steps outlined below must be fulfilled to be eligible to serve as a Jr. Team Tennis coach/manager, co-manager, or local/area coordinator. Please allow 10 business days for completion.
Step 1: Complete the Online Training Module. You will be prompted to create an account. Depending on your knowledge and skillset, the training will take you 90-120 minutes to complete. If you are unable to complete the training at one time, you can return and continue using the account you created. (USOC SafeSport Online Training Module)
Step 2: Read the Youth Protection Policies and Procedures for USTA Jr. Team Tennis. (Youth Protection Policies & Procedures)
Step 3: Complete Your Background Screen Application. In the application, you will be required to certify and affirm that you have successfully completed (1) and (2) above. The USTA has retained the services of an independent third party, the National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI), to conduct background screenings of all applicants. Complete your background screen through NCSI.
- Once you submit your application, you will receive your NCSI Applicant ID number on the screen. You will use this number to check the status of your background screen (see (a) below) as well as when you login to TennisLink for the first time.
- Once you have submitted your background screen information, results will be generated in approximately 10 business days. Please be sure to add ncsisafe.com to your accepted email domain list. Watch for an email from Compliance@ncsisafe.com in the days following your application; this will also contain your NCSI Applicant ID number which can be used to check the status of your application on NCSI’s website.
- NCSI may contact you within the 10 business day waiting period to request more information. You can confirm the legitimacy of the request by checking your status on NCSI’s website using the NCSI Applicant ID number; your status will note the same request for information. Please watch for communications from NCSI as these emails may end up in your "spam" folder.
- When your screen is complete you will receive either a green or red light, based on the results of your application and the USTA’s criteria. If you receive a green light, you will receive an email from the USTA notifying you that you’ve been cleared through Safe Play with instructions on what to do next. You also will be listed on the results page of USTA.com. If you received a red light, you will be notified by NCSI of your status and you will not be eligible to participate in Jr. Team Tennis.
- Background Screening Policy FAQ’s.
For all questions related to the background screen system, please contact:
The National Center for Safety Initiatives at (866) 833-7100 or email@example.com
For all policy-related questions, please contact USTA at firstname.lastname@example.org